The students were rushed to the Chuka County Referral Hospital and the Chuka Nursing Home where they got treatment.

Tharaka Nithi County Director of Education Bridget Wambua noted that the students had complained of diarrhoea and vomiting for the last week.

She noted that the number of complaints kept increasing forcing the closure of the school.

So far, three students were admitted, one was discharged, while the others are responding to treatment.

“More than 40 boys were affected and taken to hospitals, three were admitted but one was released yesterday and the other two are also responding well to medication,” Wambua stated.

The school management suspects the outbreak may have been due to pipe breakages that contaminated the water.

The students on the other hand dismissed the claims noting that they started having complaints after eating a cow an allegation that the school principal rejected.

Reports however indicate that other neighbouring communities use the same water and no similar reports have been made.

So far samples have been collected for testing and the results are yet to be announced.

The school management reported that the students will return on May 9, 2023.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *